Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mid Rivers Ethical Society

Since February, the boys and I have been attending "church" every Sunday. I know what you are thinking-- Rachel is not religious and fears organized religion. All this is true, but we have been attending services at the Mid Rivers Ethical Society, which is not really a church but is a nonprofit organization that has a lecture/service for the adults and a Sunday school for the children. The Ethical Society does not follow any particular religion, their mission statement is "to bring out the best in others and thereby in ourselves." The Sunday school's core values are:
Ethics is my way.
Every person is important and unique.
Every person deserves to be treated fairly and kindly.
I can learn from everyone.
I am part of this earth; I cherish it and all the life upon it.
I learn from the world around me by using my senses, mind, and feelings.
I am a member of the world community which depends on the cooperation of all people for peace and justice.
I can learn from the past to build for the future.
I am free to question.
I am free to choose what I believe.
I accept responsibility for my choices and actions.
I strive to live my values.

Basically, do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, not because you will be rewarded in some sort of afterlife. The lectures often discuss current events or political causes, other times they are just inspirational stories that make you think. Everyone that goes there are intelligent, professional people (many are teachers) and it is great have an adult conversation at least once a week.
The Society also does community service projects. Last month the Sunday school collected items for the local no-kill animal shelter. They got to deliver all the items in-person and take a tour of the facility to meet the animals they were helping (see pic). All the kids had a great time and the boys actually look forward to going to "church" every week.

No comments: