Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Call for Change

Most of you know I am very into politics. With the mid-term election coming up I decided this year I was going to volunteer instead of just voting and complaining. So Saturday I hosted a "Call for Change" party for moveon.org. There were over 600 parties nationwide calling progressive voters in tight races. I had five other people attend-- a political science professor at UMSL, an occupational therapy graduate student, a teacher @ Francis Howell, a lady that has been a member of the DNC since the 60's, and a longtime Boeing employee. Our group was calling voters in Pennsylvania for there close Senate race between Bob Casey (D) and the controversial incumbent Rick Santorum (R). Our group made over 300 calls, but nationally all the parties made over 212,000! It was so nice to meet other intelligent people to converse with, progressives are hard to find in very conservative St. Charles county. We had pizza, discussed independent film, national and international affairs, and even South Park (new episodes start tonight 10/4). It was nice to know I'm not alone in this area, although it would be nice to meet more people my age that have similar interests, so if anyone knows someone let me know. We all plan on getting together again the weekend before the election, at least I feel like I did something this time even if it wasn't much. Also don't forget to vote on Nov. 7th, Missouri has a lot of important issues on the ballot including stem cell research, increase in tobacco taxes, and of course our own close Senate race, if you have never voted in a mid-term election this is definitely the one to start with--make your voice heard!

No comments: