Wednesday, October 03, 2007

First Call to Poison Control

The boys went to a birthday party last night and when they got home they had glow stick necklaces, which of course Alena was fascinated with. She came into the living room chewing on one and just as I was walking over to take it away from her, it broke in her mouth. I quickly cleaned her up and made her rinse out her mouth. She briefly complained that her mouth hurt, but then went on playing as usual. I figured I should probably play it safe and make my first ever call to the poison control center. As I expected, the nurse said it wasn't serious but could cause some minor mouth/skin irritation and could give her a slight tummy ache. They suggested I give her a bowl of ice cream to help her mouth and coat her tummy at the same time. Alena obviously loved that cure and suffered no ill effects from the escapade. The hotline was very nice and very helpful, but hopefully that was my first and last call to the poison control center.

No comments: